As of January 1, 2020, the Rockland County Solid Waste Management Authority (Solid Waste) will take over all aspects of garbage, recycling, bulk trash collection, and bagged leaves, grass and brush collection for the Village of Wesley Hills.
The Village Board made this change due the difficulties anticipated in getting reasonable bids for garbage services, a trend many municipalities in the area face.
AS A RESIDENT, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO ME?
- The new contract that Solid Waste signed for garbage collection is identical in most aspects to the current contract the Village has. Therefore, residents will not see any changes in the level of service.
- Pickup of garbage will continue to be backdoor/sideyard, while pickup of other items will continue to be curbside.
- Trash collectors will not change as our current carter, Donato Marangi, will continue to provide this service under the auspices of Solid Waste.
- For quick response, missed collections and service complaints should be made directly to Solid Waste at 845-753-2200. Any complaints submitted to the Village will be passed on to Solid Waste.
- In addition, missed collections and service issues may to be submitted to the Village’s Online Portal which will transmit them to Solid Waste during Village business hours. The Online Portal is on the Village’s home page, www.wesleyhills.org. To access it click the “Submit a Complaint” button in the “Action Center”.
WHAT ELSE IS CHANGING
- Solid Waste will collect user fees from Village residents to pay for this service. These user fees will appear as a new line item on your Town of Ramapo/Rockland County tax bill that is sent out in late December and is due January 31st. Your next Village tax bill, which is sent out in June, will be lower reflecting the fact that this large budget line item is no longer a part of Village taxes.
- The Village has unspent garbage funds for the period of 1/1/20 – 5/31/20. We will transfer these funds to Solid Waste to reduce the user fee for 2020.
- The user fees charged to each property (as reflected on the County tax bills) for garbage service are based on your Property Class. One-Family Residences (most of the Village) will be charged a lower user fee than those properties in other classes such as Two-Family Residences or mixed uses. Those properties will see higher user fees for such services. Classifications are handled through the Town of Ramapo Assessor’s Office.
The Village looks forward to an easy transition to Solid Waste. Please contact the Village if you have any questions or concerns regarding this change.
Marshall Katz, Mayor